Something traditional and festive to warm the tummy and make the house smell divine.You will need:
4 large baking apples (Rome Beauty or Golden Delicious work best)
4 Tablespoons packed brown sugar, white granulated sugar or a combination of the two
4 teaspoons margarine, softened
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup raisins 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Core apples.
3. Peel a strip of skin off around center of apples (this prevents the apple from cracking during baking).
4. Place apples in a baking dish containing 1/4 inch of water in the bottom.
5. Mix rest of ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
6. Generously stuff center cored area of apples with mixture of combined ingredients.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes or until apples are soft enough to be easily stabbed with a fork, basting apples with juice every 10-15 minutes.
8. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or more before serving.
9. Top with ice cream or whipped cream for variation on the traditional recipe. Serves 4.